Monday, October 05, 2009

When Narcissism is good

I ran long after a long time. Last saturday we had the internal run for "Frost the trail", the CSR initiative of our company, a run through the nature for 8.1 km. It was a kind of a dry run for the final event that is going to happen next week, where runners from different parts of Kuala Lumpur would be joining us. However the important question is how can somehow be happy running such a long distance through extreme terrains, ending up with cramped legs, not being able to walk properly for two consecutive days??
This is the question I am trying to answer connecting with the happiness function that I built. The body aches, pains but still I am so happy. (Can I also connect it to the response function to pain that I built, all my critics what do you think??). While I try to find the answer let me give you a complete description of the proceedings. The 8.1 km trail was at the forest reserve of Kuala Lumpur. We had to run past lakes, run uphill: really up at times the angle of climb could be as high as 40 degrees, run through forest. It was fun. To add to that it was raining and the whole package was just awesome. I did not have much time appreciating the nature as I was running fast. I clocked 49 mins and was the first to finish the race. And after the race we had fun cycling, playing football and taking snaps. It was fun all the way. Now what is the factor that made me feel so good. The Narcissist in me makes me think the importance that I got being the first placed runner has made me happy. Then there were the external variables. It is true it is pure narcissism. I feel happy being the best in everything I do. Frankly I love changing the world around me, making it the best. I hate being second, I hate being on the bench being the substitute. And that is why, I thrive so much to perfect myself in whatever I do, and when I get results of those perfections, I am happy.
Right now, I am having difficulty in walking. Thinking about that, I have to run another 8.1 km this coming sunday my legs start aching more. But I love it. During my school days this competitive spirit was always in me. I was nowhere near a good sportsmen compared to the other guys over there. I could never run 100 m in 12 secs, 5 km in 20 mins. But I always gave my heart out, improved over the years and finally I was second in my hostel. (The first was way too good). Then there was the obstacle course. We needed to jump over a 10 ft wall. I could never achieve the feat until the last day I tried it. It was the inter hall competitions and no one from my hostel could do that. Someone made of fun of that fact. I tried for one hour continuously before the event and finally I managed to do it and in the next one hour I perfected it. Though during the main event I failed, I felt happy that I could prove a point. Sometimes I feel whatever little I have achieved in my life or something which fuels me to achieve more has got a lot to do with the Narcissism, the ego, the jealousy in me. So do you think these attributes are good???

1 comment:

Bohemian said...

My respects for your Narcissist soul.